Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Obama Announces New Nuclear Strategy, Critics Say U.S. More Vulnerable

Obama Announces New Nuclear Strategy, Critics Say U.S. More Vulnerable

President Obama has reversed 65 years of U.S. Nuclear policy and eliminated the nation's deterrence capacity.

There was a day when I would have been extremely pleased at news of this sort, say when I was seven or eight.

Now that I'm old, I find this news downright frightening. I believe it has emboldened our enemies and put America and the world at risk.

The United States has removed the threat of a nuclear response without getting anything in return. Furthermore, the president's decision has diminished the nation's ability to protect itself.

When I was young, I experienced countless sleepless nights worrying about the Soviet Union and nuclear war. When my head wasn't filled with mushroom clouds and radiation burns I was convinced the Russians were going to land in my backyard and snatch me out of my bedroom.

Now that I'm old I realize the reason why the Russians didn't attack America (Red Dawn style) and why we had avoided a nuclear war--we had nuclear weapons.

These powerful and devastating weapons don't start wars they prevent them. They don't take lives they save them.

Wisdom teaches that peace comes from being armed not from being unarmed. Deterrents always work, disarming seldom does.

So here's to the return of nightmares. The Russians invading and snatching myself from my bedroom is now a distinct possibility.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The genius Sara Palin said it best;

"You know that's kinda like getting out there on the playground, a bunch of kids ready to fight and one of the kids saying 'Go ahead, punch me in the face and I'm not going to retaliate. Go ahead and do what you want to with me.'"

Countries having nuclear weapons is just real simple, sort of like a schoolyard fight. So I can totally see your point. Genius.